Hackney City Farm wants to protect the natural environment. We provide learning on animals plants and farming and explore what is important to sustaining the balance of nature.
Pollution means our climate has changed, affecting environments around the globe. Floods, melting glaciers, fires and rising temperatures threaten the land, crop growth, animal and human lives. Our environment is wounded.
The farm has a range of initiatives – solar panels, bicycle cinema, bio fuel, recycling and composting. This year we have built a big renewable power sculpture and this webpage – Energy Harvest to get us all thinking and using energy more wisely.
Where to buy a simple solar powered panel that can power a small fountain or water feature : https://www.powerbee.co.uk/sunspray-360-solar-fountain.html
Switching to a renewable electricity supplier is easier than you think and takes approx two minutes. Here’s how to do it:
- Visit unfrack.me which gives details of four 100% renewable electricity suppliers
- See which supplier you like the look of, enter some details (address, whether you need both gas and electricity or just electricity, your last meter reading if you have it)
- Your new supplier will contact your existing supplier and confirm the date when you will switchover to them
- Once you’ve switched you’ll be safe in the knowledge that you’ll be reducing your carbon emissions by up to 50%
- All of the companies on www.unfrack.me also offer a percentage of green gas. Green gas is produced mainly via a process of anaerobic digestion (eg food waste) or thermal gasification of the UK’s biodegradeable waste.
There are plenty of ways to reduce your carbon footprint. This article has some great ideas.
This site will tell you the best and worst times for using energy. Help limit pollution which is due to pressure on our National Grid!
To access funding for similar projects and more go to
Postcode Local Trust is a grant giving charity funded entirely by players of People’s Postcode Lottery. To find out more and apply for funding go to www.postcodelocaltrust.org.uk To find out how to play and support more charities, go to www.postcodelottery.co.uk
Hackney City Farm has been at the forefront of environmental awareness and protection since it first opened in 1984. In fact, you could say we’ve bleating about it for over 30 years!!Find out more
With support from Postcode Lottery, Hackney City Farm and Fire the Inventor, local people are invited to explore renewable energyRead More
Spinning Chopsticks Workshops
Led by Steven from fire the Inventor, and using a cardboard box, cogs and a pair of chopsticks, everyone makes a moving toy!Find out more
Architecture students from University of East London with architect/tutor Sarah Bland collaborate with Stephen from Fire the Inventor and Farm team.Read More
How will the Sculpture look effective – and get people thinking about renewable energy?Read more
Sculpture form is agreed- it will be sturdy enough to last outdoors and create power from the wind!Read more
Final assembly of bike frames comes together. We launch the big sculpture – hooray!Read more
Energy Saving Tips
Which renewable energy could this sculpture use well at the farm? What could save you money at home?Find out more
Outcomes & PR
A glimpse of what was made and given for Hackney City Farm and Energy Harvest – reminding us all to value and protect our environment.Read more